Chapter and Verse, the audio companion to Bruce Springsteen’s forthcoming autobiography, Born to Run, will be released September 23 — The Boss’ 67th birthday — on Columbia Records. The career-spanning compilation will come out 4 days before Simon & Schuster publishes Born to Run on September 27. Five of the album’s 18 tracks have not been previously released.
Chapter and Verse will be available as a single CD and double LP, as well as via digital download and streaming, and is now available for preorder. The package will include lyrics and rare photos.
Springsteen selected the songs on Chapter and Verse to reflect the themes and sections of Born to Run. The collected songs trace Springsteen’s musical history from his earliest days, telling stories that parallels those in the book. The compilation begins with two tracks from The Castiles, featuring a teenaged Springsteen on guitar and vocals, and ends with the title track from 2012’s Wrecking Ball.
Recordings from Steel Mill and The Bruce Springsteen Band feature musicians who would go on to play in The E Street Band. Solo demos of “Henry Boy” and “Growin’ Up” were cut in 1972 shortly before Springsteen began recording his debut album on Columbia, Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
View filmmaker Thom Zimny’s trailer for Chapter and Verse here:
Here’s the breakdown of what’s on Chapter and Verse:
1. “Baby I” — The Castiles (recorded May 2, 1966, at Mr. Music, Bricktown, New Jersey; written by Bruce Springsteen and George Theiss; previously unreleased)
2. “You Can’t Judge a Book by the Cover” — The Castiles (recorded September 16, 1967, at The Left Foot, Freehold, New Jersey; written by Willie Dixon; previously unreleased)
3. “He’s Guilty (The Judge Song)” — Steel Mill (recorded February 22, 1970, at Pacific Recording Studio, San Mateo, California; previously unreleased)
4. “Ballad of Jesse James” — The Bruce Springsteen Band (recorded March 14, 1972, at Challenger Eastern Surfboards, Highland, New Jersey; previously unreleased)
5. “Henry Boy” (recorded June 1972, at Mediasound Studios, New York; previously unreleased)
6. “Growin’ Up” (recorded May 3, 1972, at Columbia Records Recordings Studios, New York; previously appeared on Tracks)
7. “4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy)” (1973, from The Wild, The Innocent & The E Street Shuffle)
8. “Born to Run” (1975, from Born to Run)
9. “Badlands” (1977, from Darkness on the Edge of Town)
10. “The River” (1980, from The River)
11. “My Father’s House” (1982, from Nebraska)
12. “Born in the U.S.A.” (1984, Born in the U.S.A.)
13. “Brilliant Disguise” (1987, from Tunnel of Love)
14. “Living Proof” (1992, from Lucky Town)
15. “The Ghost of Tom Joad” (1995, from The Ghost of Tom Joad)
16. “The Rising” (2002, from The Rising)
17. “Long Time Comin'” (2005, from Devils & Dust)
18. “Wrecking Ball” (2012, Wrecking Ball)
All songs written and performed by Bruce Springsteen, except as noted.
Springsteen’s 500-page autobiography, Born to Run, will be released internationally on September 27, published in hardcover, e-book, and audio editions by Simon & Schuster in the United States, United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and India, as well as other publishers around the world. Springsteen has been privately writing the autobiography over the past 7 years. He began work in 2009, after performing with The E Street Band at the Super Bowl’s halftime show. Born to Run is available for pre-order here: http://smarturl.it/borntorunbook.
Bruce Springsteen and The E Street Band are currently on tour in Europe and will return to the U.S. for a string of dates beginning August 23 at MetLife Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, and ending September 14 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Massachusetts.
Bruce Springsteen’s social media access: