Following the success of his recently released 37th studio album Roll With the Punches, which charted at No. 4 in the UK in September, Van Morrison has already prepared the release of his 38th, Versatile, via Sony Legacy for December 1, 2017.
Van’s output/work ethic hearkens back to his early days as a recording artist who’d easily release multiple long players within the space of a year.
And to echo what we said when Punches was released in September, knowing Van’s extensive/stellar track record in the hi-res universe over on HDtracks, we here at HRAC very much expect a hi-res version of Versatile to be released concurrently.
While Roll With The Punches saw Van revisit many of the definitive rhythm and blues records that have stayed with him all his life, Versatile sees him delve further back into recorded music’s archives to interpret some of the 20th century’s greatest vocal jazz standards.
Across Versatile’s 16 tracks, Morrison interprets some of the very building blocks of modern music, as well as songs originally made famous by the likes of Chet Baker, Frank Sinatra, The Righteous Brothers, Tony Bennett, and Nat King Cole. The album also features six new Van the Man compositions, including “Broken Record,” a timeless piece of late-night swing. To coincide with this announcement, Morrison has released two new tracks, “I Get A Kick Out Of You” and “Makin’ Whoopee,” both now available to stream. You can also preorder the album here.
Regarding the content to be found on Versatile, Morrison observes, “Recording songs like these — especially the standards — gave me the chance to stretch out vocally and get back to the music that originally inspired me to sing: jazz!”
While Versatile is said to be a completely different record than Roll With the Punches, it goes to show that Van, at 72 years of age, is not going to slow down any time soon.
VAN MORRISON – VERSATILE
1. Broken Record (Van Morrison)
2. A Foggy Day (George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin)
3. Let’s Get Lost (Frank Loesser and Jimmy McHugh)
4. Bye Bye Blackbird (Ray Henderson and Mort Dixon)
5. Skye Boat Song (Trad. Arranged by Van Morrison)
6. Take It Easy Baby (Van Morrison)
7. Makin’ Whoopee (Walter Donaldson and Gus Kahn)
8. I Get a Kick Out of You (Cole Porter)
9. I Forgot That Love Existed (Van Morrison)
10. Unchained Melody (Alex North and Hy Zaret)
11. Start All Over Again (Van Morrison)
12. Only A Dream (Van Morrison)
13. Affirmation [Featuring Sir James Galway] (Van Morrison)
14. The Party’s Over (Betty Comden, Adolph Green, and Jule Styne)
15. I Left My Heart in San Francisco (George Cory and Douglass Cross)
16. They Can’t Take That Away from Me (George Gershwin and Ira Gershwin)
VAN MORRISON – CURRENT UK TOUR DATES
Nov 12 / London Eventim Apollo
Nov 13 / Birmingham Symphony Hall
Nov 15 / Liverpool Philharmonic Hall
Nov 17 / Blue Note Festival – Salle Pleyel – Paris, France
Nov 20 / Cardiff St. David’s Hall
Nov 21 / Bristol Colston Hall
Nov 24 / Torquay Princess Theatre
Nov 25 / Plymouth Pavilions
Dec 4 / Belfast Europa Hotel
Dec 5 / Belfast Europa Hotel